The Creative Loves of… Aleksandra

26.4.11


Hello dear readers and welcome back after the long weekend... I'm so happy to start this week with the Creative Loves of one of my favourite creatives AustraliaAleksandra Schutz... I first came across her wonderful styling work earlier this year and loved it so it's a real pleasure to have her here today... Aleksandra is a stylist and creative director who also creates beautiful flower compositions and installations and wonderful bespoke handwriting.. She works from her studio which is set amongst blossoming camellia, Jacaranda and fragrant Eucalyptus Trees in the rural flower growing district of Arcadia, Sydney Australia... doesn't that sound heavenly!

Can you tell me  about your work space? My studio is very eclectic, textured and layered with propery especially collections of vintage vases & vessels and always a flower specimen to admire. I love collecting found and aged objects that I can transform and mix amongst newer pieces. I am a bit like a magpie (bird) you will always find me fossicking around op shops for recycled goodies!


Have you always been creatively driven? I had been on the creative path for a few years studying design, assisting stylists and working as a florist. I always made bespoke hand made cards for family and friends and started to acquire a few jobs for handwriting invitations professionally for events. Soon enough the word started to spread and I started the business with my handwritten penmanship. I later added my love for flowers and styling to accompany this. I felt it was a little niche and how well it all worked hand in hand together. I feel really blessed!


What inspires you, where do you go for ideas? FLOWERS! Installations in Nature and Unexpected co-incidences in Nature, Rose Gardens, Food, Books, Colour, Vintage Treasures, Travelling and anything that’s visually exciting!

What is a typical work day for you? Every day is different for me. Some days it’s waking up at 4am to be at the flower market to source an abundance of blooms for a flower installation that day. There is a real buzz at the market, it’s all senses alert! These days I’m usually knee deep in greenery, surrounded by buckets of flowers with secateurs in hand. Other days waking up with the sun, making a cup of tea, checking the emails, writing quotes, sourcing propery and paper, mocking up samples for invitations, Delivering flowers and Handwriting projects, Sketching and composing small motif illustrations and story boards, Printing, Calling clients and picking up flowers from local growers and site inspections.


-      How do you approach each brief or project you work on? Every brief is unique and never is one the same as the next, which is what I love. The best tools are Creative Research and Working with incredible attention to detail.





Please tell us about your current Creative Loves...
Illustration/ Artists  – I love botanical illustration and Dutch Masters/ Painters from the 16-18th century like Willem van Aelst as well as Australian artists Tim MaguireCressida CampbellMargaret Preston and Dale Frank
Home / Interiors – Modern 50 and Porters Paints,
Magazines  Bloom Magazine and Dumbo Feather
Shops – Cire TrudonSuper Future and Sacra 
Music – Cat PowerSia and Sarah Blasko


What projects are you working on at the moment? Weddings have been keeping me busy! It’s rare to receive a handcrafted and handwritten invitation these days. It gives a personal touch and is a bespoke piece of visual art.


What has been the most interesting or exciting project you've worked on? An Alice in Wonderland-esque Invitation, it really was wonderful to create and explore the whimsical “more is more “fantasy and adapt it to my aesthetic.

In terms of your work what couldn't you live without? Ongoing Support, endless inspiration and my tools to help make it happen…


What do you love most about what you do? It’s very satisfying looking at the end result of a project and looking back at the steps you went through to take you there, you get a warmth of accomplishment!


What do you want to do in the future? More travel!


Where are you happiest? Admiring the magical scent of flowers and the memories they create.

Thanks Aleksandra!

1 comments:

Bonnie- amour amour :

Gorgeous interview with a gorgeous girl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lottie Loves... All rights reserved © Blog Milk